This is the age of technology and today we use electronic mails more as compared to the old form of physical mails. When we receive an email from someone we can find out who is the sender of the email from the sender’s address but there is no field that can tell us what the location of the email sender is. Sometimes it becomes very important to determine the location of the email to check its validity as a person may be sitting in some country and claiming to be in another.
How to find the IP address of the Email sender in Gmail:
1. Open the email that you wish to find the IP address of.
2. From the drop down on right side, click the Show Original button
3. This will open a new window with lots of email information.
4. Now search for “Received: from”, you will see some IP address in the same line within square brackets like [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]
5. Now see for the last IP address of the page.
This will be the IP address of the sender or the route of the email used for delivery.
How to find the location of the email sender:
1. You can use the IP address noted above to find the location of the sender.
2. Visit this link, paste the IP in the Remote Address Field and click the Host Trace button.
3. Within few seconds, you would be able to see the location of the IP address on the Google Maps.
In the testing, I found this address to be more than approximation, if not accurate.
Note: Some email address might not be showing an IP address, this can be because they have protected their IP address from public display.